Monday, July 7, 2008

Yoga Is Miraculous

128291119595433750iizstuckinyo.jpg
more cat pictures

I've absolutely fallen in love with yoga since I took it up a few months ago to de-stress and limber up. There's something amazing about an exercise that can do so much sculpting and strengthening in such a short time and with so little effort. Today, I found out something more than amazing about yoga -- it's downright miraculous and I am completely overwhelmed with the good shock of it.

I'm sure you want to know what it is, but bear with me for some background first: When I was in 4th grade I started having really bad headaches. I'd never had headaches at all before that (I've got a thick skull) so it was a very dramatic change and I was kind of wigged out. More so once I realized that I wasn't seeing things the way they "really were." So as my mom tried to figure out what was wrong the first response was to get my eyes tested. Both my parents have horrible vision and my siblings too. It was only a matter of time that I'd get my first pair of specs.

My mom and I both thought this would make the headaches stop, but it didn't and she eventually decided to take me to her chiropractor to be checked out. My mom's got weird shaped feet or something that affect her overall health and I assume she suspected something along the same lines was happening to me, though I didn't know it at the time. One x-ray session later and we had our answer: my right leg was shorter than my right, skewing my spine alignment which was probably causing the headaches.

For the next 10+ years, I went regularly to the chiropractor to have my spine adjusted. When I got all moved out of my 'rents in the college years, I stopped going because I just didn't have the money or the insurance to pay it. My back and legs would feel better or worse, then, based mostly on how much I exercised and weighed. When I gained a bunch of weight (about 100 lbs. over my norm), my body pain was excruciating and exercising didn't really help (cuz it just hurt a different way with all that weight stressing my body).

When I lost the weight again (by getting a job I biked to 8 miles one way), the pain relaxed some, but my back and hips were a source of extreme discomfort until just recently, when I've been doing regular yoga. That's incredible enough on it's own, I think, but the miraculous part is so much better. I've had some completely unusual pain in my right hip that I couldn't place. I figured it was something to do with not taking enough fiber or something else random. So you can imagine my surprise when...

I checked my legs today and discovered that they are now THE EXACT SAME LENGTH.

There is absolutely NOTHING I can attribute this to, except for the yoga. After 26 years of uneven legs and a feeling of secret gimpiness, I suddenly am "normal." Or maybe just normal-ish. So, seriously, find some poses that look like fun (I do these and the Sun Salutation daily) and start doing yoga! It's good for what ails you!

Related posts:
The Best & Worst Stretch in the World
Detox Your Life (How To)
EarthFest Part 2: Health and Wellness
Take a Deep Breath [How To]

1 comment:

meesha.v said...

Years ago chiropractor pulled that line on me -about my legs being different, with pictures and such. I felt that he was going to straighten me up by sucking large quantities of money out of my wallet. I know I am all crooked and lopsided but he was to anxious to help me and explain how payment plans work. It sucks to be non-believer and a cynic. On a more optimistic note - I bought a WII Fit and it apparently has some yoga elements as part of the exercises it offers.So who knows I may be calling 911 to be rescued from one of the positions soon.