Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thoughts on the 4th of July

"Peace-Fourth of July, 1965" from Harpers Weekly

I've been sitting here for the past several hours trying to decide what to blog about. The first thing I want to talk about is Independence Day as a holiday, but then it's also the last thing I want to talk about because tomorrow is also the anniversary of my "official" first year with the perfect boy I thought I could never have. These two desires are pulling me both ways, hence the indecision.

Independence Day has been something I've dreaded ever since we went to war after 9/11. I don't support the war. I don't support the waste of resource or of life, and I don't support the direction the current administration has led the country. So when patriotism is at it's height of frenzy, I just feel like pulling down the shades on the fireworks and ignoring all of it. It's not that I hate America, but I feel heartsick to the point of nausea when I think about celebrating this country as if I still believe we're the best nation in the world.

Lucky for me, now I have a reason to. Instead of having the 4th of July be a day where I refuse to celebrate (like I do so many other holidays *cough*Valentine's day*cough*), I can instead celebrate something I do support: a healthy relationship full of freakish amounts of cuddling and mutual silliness/geekiness. If you remember something of how we got together, maybe you can understand how absolutely blessed I feel to be with this guy and how miraculous this past year has been for me. It all seems too good to be true. How could I possibly be with a guy who still makes out with me every morning before he leaves for work? A guy who regularly spends hours of time cooking dinner for me? Mind-fricken-boggling it is.

So maybe what I'm getting at here is that even if I can't celebrate the US as a whole, I'm still glad I can celebrate the parts of it that I love. And that includes this whole damn city.

6 comments:

Tony said...

AMAZING POST!!! Awesome work and I'd say rather patriotic.

-Jenna- said...

Happy anniversary to the both of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Focus on the happy stuff. Today's my 18th wedding anniversary - our first date was on the Fourth and, three years later, we got married on the Fourth. He can never forget our anniversary...

And 'amen' to your comments about the war. I'm old enough to have lost friends in Vietnam - this is deja vu all over again.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spyder said...

May I agree with you. I support our soldiers but not the people who have sent them to their deaths. I see the fireworks as dangerous & a waste of money. I'm staying home because I have to drug (Rescue Remedy) my dogs because my hood is exploding.

runnerfrog said...

It's getting harder everyday to speak out our minds about our countries for anybody around the world? Seems to be something that started to happen after 9/11, everyone in most countries I've visited is stressed out about its situation, for one reason or another... tomorrow is our independence day in Argentina too, and I'm not exultant of patriotic thoughts either.