Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I Love a Good Storm




For those of you who have never experienced a good ole Kansas City thunderstorm, you should watch the video and see what it's like.

I've finally been away from Seattle long enough to enjoy a good walk in the rain like I used to, which is lucky for me, really since I got caught in the deluge this morning because I was late for work. And now, just like I did for months on end in Seattle, I'm sitting here working with my legs encased in ice cold denim. Totally awesome!

But another reason I am so happy about the rain here is that we actually have thunderstorms! I don't about where you live, but in Westport it was thundering and lightening almost all night. Every time I woke up, I was grinning because after two years without thunderstorms (it's not something that happens in Seattle), I was really beginning to miss them.

On top of that, my gratitude for rain in general has risen after I learned some unfortunate facts through research for a program @ work:

  • water tables are dropping 5-8 feet each year (that's where we get our fresh water from mostly) which is compounded by the fact that
  • deforestation is causing more rainfall to fall over the oceans instead of on land, because large groups of trees in part cause rain clouds to form (did you know that? I didn't).
So this whole spring, every time we've had a rainfall, I've closed my eyes and taken a deep breath and feel reassured that we're going to live through another year. Water keeps us alive and I love it!

What do you like about rain? Or hate?

Related posts:
Why I Can't Wait to See Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
How to Go Green Without Really Trying
Detox Your Life (How To)
Life Finds a Way

Like what you see? Subscribe here


Add to Mixx!

Stumble This

5 comments:

Eddie Rabbit said...

Well, I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face
Taste the rain on my lips
In the moonlight shadow

Showers washed
All my cares away
I wake up to a sunny day
'Cos I love a rainy night

May said...

Awesome! I love it

Bryan said...

I like the rain because it makes the air smell clean, if only for a little while.

meesha.v said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
zach said...

Hey, I love your blog!

Storms are one of the many reasons I love Kansas. I hate drizzle. I was living in Germany this time last year, and it just spat the entire month of June. When it rains in Kansas it is an event! People skip class and camp out on their porches to watch the street turn into a torrent of muddy water. I love it!