Thursday, May 29, 2008

Choose Your Own Adventure with Jane Austen

Oh. my. god. My friend Sara gave me the best piece of Austen rip-offery I've ever seen: Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure (even funnier than Pride and Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen)! It combines choose-your-own-adventure style narration with DnD-like scoring (which is optional) and a complete mashup of all Jane Austen's novels. How cool is that?

Your name: Elizabeth Bennet
Your mission: To marry both prudently and for love, avoiding family scandal. Equipped with only your sharp wit, natural good sense, and tolerable beauty, you must navigate your way through a variety of decisions that will determine your own romantic (and financial) fate. [from the back cover]

So far the story is generally a retelling of Pride & Prejudice up to where Jane is sick at the Bingley's (assuming you haven't choosen badly and been bludgeoned into ugly spinsterhood by vagrants). Then the Collins show up from Mansfield Park and the plot has suddenly become putting on the forbidden play. And that's as far as I've gotten, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how funny this is. All you other Jane Austen freaks will love it. For serious.

Related posts:
Good Book, Bad Book (Review)
Reality versus Morality in Sex Education
Babes in History and Fiction, Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Like what you see? Subscribe here


Add to Mixx!

Stumble This

1 comment:

mmgirl said...

I saw this book in the bookstore. I wondered if anything good. I just saw 'choose your own adventure' and then Jane Austen. I thought oh my.