Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Television Revolution



All right, so that's a bit dated, but the point remains: Nothing important is going to happen with people sitting on their asses in front of TVs all the damn time.

Even when I used to get any channels on my TV, I still rarely watched any shows when they actually aired because 1) commercials suck and 2) I refuse to let my schedule be dictated by some random producer. These days, I don't watch anything except DVDs for basically the same reasons, with the additional motivations of more reading, loving, cooking & exercise time for myself.

Basically, without letting TV serve as the focus for my evening, I feel I have much more connection with myself and the people around me. The Magical Power of Focus post from Zen Habits puts it this way:

If we focus on being tired and wanting to veg out in front of the TV, we will get a lot of television watching done. If, however, we focus on being healthy and fit, we will become healthy and fit through exercise and good eating.
I don't think people use the TV as a substitute for really living their lives on purpose (and I know plenty who don't do it at all and still enjoy a good veg), but the question I'd like to ask you is this: What would you do if you had to spend one week TV free?

4 comments:

Spyder said...

I'm going on a week long silent retreat in July. No TV! But I will have my phone that gets the web!!!!!

May said...

That sounds like an awesome trip! I'm totally jealous now

"The D" said...

It would depend on what I miss.

Steve Mills said...

I think that is great just to have a full technology detox from time to time and just let your mind get closer to a natural more alert state.

I don't get a lot of time to sit and watch TV at the minute, and when I do it amazes me what passes for entertainment...