Wednesday, April 23, 2008

EarthFest Part 2: Health & Wellness

The coolest part of EarthFest for me wasn't anything flashy, but it is going to change my life.

David Beisiegel, D.C.
As I was wandering around the booths, we came across a chiropractor and a massues who were giving a choice of a 15 minute massage or a free consultation. My friend took the massage, while I took Dr. David Beisiegel's consultation (he owns[?] Indian Creek Natural Medicine with his wife). My right leg is about 1/2 an inch shorter than my left, which caused me a lot of problems with headaches when I was growing up. From the time I was 10 through 18 or so, I went regularly to a chiropractor who helped realign my hips and spine every 2 weeks or so. So, of any kind of doctor, I get along with chiropractors best and I wanted to get an update on my alignment.

But, he turned out to do something even better than that. He told me that he was going to find my problem areas, the weakest muscles in my body, because those are the root problems of most physical pain I experience on a daily basis. I was totally jazzed to hear that, because it meant that I would finally figure out what causes the hellish back pain I get all the time.

With a series of very simple movements (I hold my arms & legs out one at a time and try to resist his pushing it gently down), he was able to show me my weakest muscles, based on how I could or couldn't support myself when he was pushing. I found out that the areas below are my weak spots:

The weak back muscle is what puts so much stress on the left side of my neck (which I am continually popping back into place) and the weak hip muscle is what puts so much stress on my right knee & causes my right foot to list off to the right instead of pointing straight ahead like lefty does. He also gave me a quick pressure point massage to work out my most stressed areas. So now, I've got to find some more exercises to work those spots and I'll be all set. ^__^

Worker Bee Gardener's Lotion
The second fabulous thing I have to mention was Good Natured Family Farms' Worker Been Gardener's Lotion. It's made at Anthony's Beehive in Lawrence, Kansas and it is the most miraculous lotion I have ever used. I've got dry hands from working with so much paper all the time and hand-washing dishes and pretty much whatever lotion I use only does a half-assed job at smoothing and mousterizing my skin. This stuff, though, is just perfect! It's not greasy or gross but it covers perfectly and heals my skin. My hands never stay this nice normally. You so have to get some (they're also available at local Hen Houses participating in Buy Fresh, Buy Local).

Oh, yeah, and I like their chapstick too.

And that concludes my coverage of EarthFest. I know there was a lot more going on and all, but some of us had been up half the night and weren't all there, if you know what I mean. I hope you all plan to come out next year!

Related posts:
EarthFest Part 1: Music

Like what you see? Subscribe here


Add to Mixx!

Stumble This

No comments: