Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Review: Hedwig and the Angry Inch

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to see a production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Off Center Theater Saturday night. I was expecting to love it, because I've watched the movie hundreds of times in the past 6 years or so and I've got all the songs memorized. Basically, I'm a gigantic Hedwig geek. I'm going to focus on how the show differed from the movie here since everyone has already reviewed the show all normal-like.

Big difference #1: HEDWIG WAS PRETTIER IN PERSON
When I saw H&tAI for the first time, I was in awe of how pretty Hedwig was, because - let's face it - she's the prettiest trannie I've seen besides the one OKCupid is always matching me with. But Justin Van Pelt makes an even prettier Hedwig than John Cameron Mitchell. That had the effect of re-invigorating my "holy crap, Hedwig is hawt" trail of thought like when I saw the film for the first time.


Compare for yourself: L - Mitchell, R - Van Pelt


Big difference #2: THE JOKES WERE FUNNIER
In the movie, most of the jokes are mostly throw away lines that a bitter, jaded & drunk Hedwig spits out between hysterics and singing. But for the show, the rest of the band, especially Yitzhak, interacted with the joke material, often with physical humor. That dramatically increased the humor of the overall piece, which I enjoyed. The movie version can be a bit of a downer.

A side benefit from this was that the band seemed more like actual characters instead of people standing in for actual characters - the movie focuses on Hedwig too much to really "see" anyone else.


Big difference #3: I CRIED LIKE A LITTLE BITCH
The biggest difference between watching the movie and seeing the show performed was the emotional impact. The movie often makes me sad, but it's never made me cry for almost an hour straight like the show did. There is something about seeing Hedwig in person, drinking vodka on stage and getting gradually more distraught as the evening goes on that just broke my f*ing heart. But in my defense, I was totally PMSing, which for me means that just about anything can make me cry. But, on the other hand, I know I wasn't the only one bawling my eyes out in that theater.

And now I leave you with my favorite Hedwig song:




Like what you see? Subscribe here


Add to Mixx!

Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see it... sigh.

-Bryan