Thursday, December 13, 2007

SquireCast Interview: Part 2

Today I bring you Part 2 of the SquireCast interview with Rob's answers. If you missed Part 1, you might want to go back and read the introduction so you'll know what we're talking about.

How did the original Squire show get started?

Kent and I were on an epic journey trying to find something to do as teenagers in downtown Erie, PA in 1996. After many obstacles and no fake IDs, we stumbled upon the program director of Energy FM 90 WERG while she and the GM were doing a promo in Perry Square for their show. We hung out with them all night, and eventually talked them into letting us on the air.....suckers. Before that, even, Kent and I used to make mixtapes. We figured out how to rig up a microphone to my shelf system CD/Tape/Stereo, and actually DJ'd the tapes as if it were a live show. I can assure you the quality has not improved much since then... haha. I can remember more than once where I quoted line for line things that Matt Pinfield said on 120 Minutes about the exact same bands we were using, and I totally passed it off as if was my own knowledge. Hey, I was 15... but honestly, if MP was still on the air, I'd still be quoting him verbatim.

What was your favorite part of being on the show back then?

That's a really hard question. For me, there were so many awesome things that came from that terrestrial radio show. I gotta be honest though, even with all the craziness and small town clout we were able to tote for a while, my favorite times were when it was really calm in the studio, and Kent (and Steve when he took over for Kent) and I just got off the air... I would sit there and contemplate how we were sending sound to hundreds, if not thousands, of people and hopefully entertaining them. In a weird way, I felt like I was really connecting with a lot of people without having some tangible contact. Those moments, along with a few others since, actually drove me to my career in entertainment. Being able to reach so many people, or even just a few, simply by creating something that connects you visually or sonically without ever needing to meet just resonates with me as sort of an intimate power that not a many people will every experience. ...ha...With great power, comes great responsibility...listen to SquireCast.

Whose idea was it to "get the band back together?"

I think it was really all of us. I know I would say things like, "Man, I really miss doing the radio show." Kent would concur, so would Joe. Finally, we tossed around the idea of doing a podcast, but none of us knew the first thing about how you made one. So for about 3 or 4 months we researched what needed to be done, and on my end, I focused on how to successfully record all three of us live even though we weren't in the same room talking into the same mic, a la Energy FM 90. It literally took several months to get all the kinks worked out, and honestly, we still deal with those kinks every time we record. Look! I went on a tangent! Go fig? Short answer: We all pretty much came up with the idea, as far as I remember. It was just a mutual feeling... unless I'm wrong, ask Kent.

How did you want to new show to resemble and/or differ from the old show?

I think we're all going to answer that differently. I personally wanted to work on my personal show structure again and how to present an entertaining program without being lame...unfortunately, I think I nailed the "lame" part. ;) Also, I wanted to play stuff that I wasn't hearing on the radio without having to answer to management. I have a severe problem with authority....just ask my boss. But at the same time, I wanted the new podcast to be like the old radio show in that we really do strive to bring something not necessarily new to the "airwaves," but to shrink the divide between the audience and the show. Too many radio shows are too pretentious or over-produced... I want it to feel like you're hanging out with us, not just listening to something. That's always been my goal with the show, past and present.

How does podcasting change the nature of what you were doing on the radio?

This has been a great sociology experiment for me. Turns out, actual human contact does make a difference! Our show is completely improvisational. It's a LOT harder to improv with people who aren't in the room with you. That makes the podcast a lot more challenging for me. But it's a good challenge, and I think we're getting better at it. The best part about it is that we can reach potentially billions of people with the podcast versus the 200,000 people in the Erie, PA area, which only about 50,000 could even pick up the signal. Something tells me Energy FM 90 had a lot less than 50,000 listeners. ;)

How do you choose music to play?

Hmmm. For me it really depends. I go through awkward musical shifts constantly. I usually just play songs that I'm really into at the time. Other times I'll hear something I really like and I want to share with people. And honestly, sometimes I build my half of the playlist about 10 minutes before we record. haha.

What has been your favorite SquireCast so far and why?

Hmmm... I don't really have a favorite. Uh, I mean, they are all so damn incredible, just this side of celestial, how could I ever decide? lol, yeah right. I'm just avoiding answering... Whatever episode is most current when you read this, that one is my favorite. So you should go download it and rock out!

What can listeners expect in the future?
I want to figure out how to give stuff out...I love giving stuff away. And I will invent time travel LIVE on SquireCast....tune in for that...

You can visit the SquireCast MySpace page for more info and downloading links.

No comments: