Friday, December 7, 2007

Restaurant Review: The Mixx

I'm not normally a big restaurant review kind of gal, but I had a shockingly good experience at a newish place the other day, so I thought I'd share.

The Mixx is an 'upscale' sandwich shop that recently opened over on Main Street. I was a little perturbed to walk in and find it painted the nearly the exact same colors as my smoking TV room at home, but the aqua & spring green combination created a warm backdrop for the unique light fixtures and open kitchen area. And besides the really horrible gay club music they were playing, it was a nice (although uber-hipster) atmosphere.

The menu is composed of salads, soups, sandwiches, pasta and sides. I ordered the Salmon BLT, not because I like salmon (I don't), but because nothing else looked good and fish is healthful. Imagine my surprise when the sandwich not only didn't make me gag, but it was completely freaking delicious. The best part of my meal though was my side. I paid the extra few dollars to replace my potato chips with garlic mashers, and it's one of the best food decisions I've made in forever. Even though we got take-out and I didn't eat for about half an hour or more after leaving, the mashers were still nearly nuclear hot and full of not-to-garlicy tastiness.

If you're looking for a sandwich place to offer options most Midwestern restaurant's won't have, then the Mixx is the place for you. It is so good.

No comments: