Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I'm not a person for making New Year's Resolutions. I've never done so before as I've always been one to make major life-changing decisions whenever the hell I wanted to, but this year I'm making a couple of resolutions. And the reason why I'm doing this is because the life-changing decisions I'm making are ones I don't want to make. So I figured giving myself a deadline to steel myself up against would be a good way to go about making these major changes:

1) Give up eating meat
This is not a health-related decision. It is, however, a guilt-related decision. Ever since I started working at Bridging The Gap, I've been challenged to do more and more to reduce the negative impact my life has on the state of the world. Besides not driving a car, I have been recycling, composting and making better consumer choices, but according to Consumer Consequences my current lifestyle would still require the resources of 3 Earths to sustain a planet full of people living like me. And with the threat of climate change imminent, I have to do more.

So that's why I'm giving up meat. If everyone stopped eating meat, there would be a greater positive impact on greenhouse gas emissions than if everyone stopped driving cars - not a statistic I find myself capable of ignoring. And, granted, I've been eating lower on the food chain anyway since my "You Are What You Eat" self-challenge, but it's not the same. I'm a Midwest girl and I love a good steak now and then, but I'd rather eat like I've got a conscious.

2) Give up smoking cigarettes
This is a health-related decision. I started smoking when I was 20 and I promised myself that I'd stop once I got out of school. I've tried half-heartedly to quit several times before, which supposedly only helps in the end. Now that I've been out of school since June, I'm all out of excuses. I ran out of cigarettes in my last pack almost a week ago now, so I've got a bit of a head start on this one, which is good because apparently it takes 3 weeks for the chemicals to work their way out of one's system. The nicotine, on the other hand, only takes 3 days so my cravings have already subsided considerably.

Anyway, those are my resolutions. Anybody else planning to change something in 2008?

6 comments:

Joshua Xalpharis said...

What about the poor plants? :(

Would you be so cavalier about this decision if carrots and celery had eyes as well?

Dane of War said...

Someone else started smoking rather late in life... I started at the same age, as well.

I "stopped" 2 years ago and was clean for 9 months and 9 days... but I fell off the wagon. It was a good haul, though. I'm sure the next time I do it, it'll be even longer.

Good luck to you!

gypsy-heart said...

I made the same decision about eating meat, and I stopped about six weeks ago. So far I haven't missed it at all.
For me,it was a health decision and a spiritual one. Though, I do not judge those that are not vegetarian for we are all on our own paths.
I do feel that everything is alive and has divine energy including plants. I finally decided that the animals walk, fly, and swim the earth as we do. Alas,plants are from the earth. Again, this is just what I decided in my heart. :)
About the quitting smoking... breath deeply. We all tend to breath shallow and yet our strength comes from deep within.
If you haven't tried yoga I hope you will consider it.
Sending you positive energies.
Namaste',
~g-h.

kanter said...

Quit smoking is a great resolution. I quite 20 years ago -- and except for the occasional lapse when I'm in a bar with lots of smokers, I haven't really smoked. Have a happy and healthy 2008.

Doc said...

it was 3 years ago ew year's day that i quit smoking.

it was hard, but after i quit having the 'someone hands you a fag at the party/rave/bar/orgy dreams, it got easier. say, 6 months into it.

which is deceptive, because whenever i happen to smell cig smoke in an outdoor environment, i want one immediatel.

in bars, restaurants and other enclosed ares, not so much: too overwhelming. coming home from above places and smelling it on my clothes and body is worse.

weird, weird habit.

you CAN beat it though.

Mark said...

These are both very good changes that you feel passionate about. The change will be easy if this is what you truly want.
Me, I have no big changes planned. I will continue to change with every moment.