Monday, December 3, 2007

Guerilla Gardening

One of the more exciting concepts I've learned about since starting at Bridging The Gap is Guerrilla Gardening. I learned about it from a coworker and now it's my favorite form of random protest ever.

Guerrilla Gardening can be as simple as throwing seeds in uncultivated urban areas (esp. public spaces) and letting nature take its course or as complicated as turning a Mercedes logo made of bushes into a peace symbol. Easy or hard, the premise is the same: to re-purpose unused urban spaces through "nonviolent direct action" into productive green spaces (a premise that dovetails neatly with the Food Not Lawns movement). Imagine how cool it would be to have all the little bare patches of earth downtown blooming instead of blowing dust everywhere.

I'm excited to see if the native wildflower seeds I scattered last week will bloom in the Spring... if not, maybe I'll step it up a notch. Either way, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: