Friday, October 12, 2007

I Am What I Eat

I'm finally following up on my previous post about BBC America's show You Are What You Eat in which I promised to track what I ate for a week. Unfortunately, I was delayed from doing this for a couple of weeks because of a family emergency, but all last week I was faithfully writing down everything that passed my lips. Today, we get to see the results. The image to the left is representative of the lifestyle that Gillian recommends with lots of lean meat and raw fruits and vegetables. I don't measure up to that standard very well, I'm afraid.

Let's take a look:

  • 1 medium chicken breast
  • 2 sausage links
  • ¼ cup chicken alfredo pasta
  • 2 cups baked penne pasta with sausage, mushrooms and peppers
  • 1 cup chicken korma
  • ¾ chicken parmesan sandwich
  • 1 Chipotle chicken sandwich
  • 3 small grilled steaks
  • 1/3 cup seasoned brown rice
  • ½ cup basmati rice
  • 2 scrambled eggs
  • ¼ cup hash browns
  • 18 Quakes flavored rice snacks
  • 1 small mozzarella, tomato, and basil salad
  • 5 breadsticks
  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 bowl vegetarian fiesta con queso soup
  • 4 bites of spice cake with whipped cream
  • 1 Santa Fe chimichanga
  • 1 fried mozzarella stick
  • ½ bowl of Maple Pecan Crunch cereal
  • 1 ½ cup of shelled pistachios
  • I King size Fast Break
  • 1 avocado & jack cheese omelet
  • ½ cup of hash browns
  • ½ biscuit with butter
  • 1 cup alfredo pasta
  • 1 organic red pear
  • 1 organic granny smith apple
  • 2 cups of vanilla pudding
  • 1 cup of chocolate pudding
  • ¼ cup raw mozzarella
  • 1 bowl tomato soup
  • 1 bowl chicken fajita soup
  • 20 rosemary & olive oil triscuits
  • ½ caramelized apple w/ brown sugar
I also took the following supplements:
And, I drank and ass-load of water, but I didn't calculate how much because I'm constantly drinking it (here's a big Thank You to my mom for instilling that in me when I was a kid).

As you can see, I don't have the worst diet right now, but it has loads of room for improvement. One of the things that bothered me after looking at this list was how few vegetables and raw food I actually eat. I decided to change that and this week I've been making myself sandwiches with avocado, 3 kinds of peppers, spinach, and soy cheese on 7 wheat bread for lunch so it's a start. I'll keep slowly working my way to kicking out more red meat and dairy while adding in more raw and organic foods. Some day I hope to be one of those people who smells noticeably different from others because of their diet (as I've experienced a few times because of super-healthy friends). I think that would rawk.

If you liked this, you may want to sign up to be automatically updated the next time I post new content.

2 comments:

cristal said...

It's good to have a healthy diet. I really can't eat anything that is very processed anymore otherwise i'm sick as can be. In a way i guess that's bad because it limits me, but it's so much healthier and i feel much better :)

May said...

I know what you mean... or at least I'm trying to get there. I still eat overly-processed foods... damn sweet tooth! ;)