Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Are You Domestic?

The first party I ever went to in Seattle ended up having "Are you domestic?" as its catchphrase once one of the men queried the women in such fashion. "Are you domestic?" meant "do you cook/clean/act like a housewife?" And while it's becoming more and more common to expect women to remain outside of the home, we're all still domestic in one sense or another, a subject that Julie Blackmon examines in her surreal photography.





See more at her website.

(discovered via Big Window)

**Note: for those to whom it has special significance and care about such things, this blog entry is the 37th! :)

2 comments:

Robin said...

Michele told me we have some things in common and until I reached the end of the post I was thinking: doppelganger! (I don't know how to spell that word, but apparently neither does the spellcheck.) Robin

May said...

glad you left happy? I try to give credit where credit is due. plus, I don't know how to spell that either.