Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Hairy Situations


I've been into playing around with hair ever since I matured enough to have some girly pursuits (at about age 16). I would spend hours experimenting with different hairstyles, teaching myself to cut hair from magazines, and, yes, cutting my family's hair (What!?? I still can't believe they let me do this). Luckily, I was pretty good at it, so nobody walked away looking ..too horrible. Cut to....... HAIRCUT MONTAGE!!! .... wah? ...eh... haircut montage:



Okay, so that was more of a mosaic, but photobucket doesn't have a "montage" option (they should really look in to that). Anyway, the point being: I like hair. But I also hate hair.... just another one of my torturous love relationships.

This blog is about two specific hair incidents.

The first occurred last summer in Seattle, WA where I was working at the Henry Art Gallery full-time as a "Collections Assistant" and trying to enjoy the brief respite from a hectic school year on the disturbingly rushed quarter schedule . A lot of things were pissing me off that summer: strangers, direct sunlight, freezing in a basement all day, waiting around downtown for hours while the traffic cleared from baseball games so I could finally go home, not having air conditioning, etc. (also: grad students whine a lot). Anyway, mostly I was just mad at still not starting my 'real life' already, and all of that added up to me shaving my head bald.

And it was totally awesome. Most of the time. I wore a stocking cap around outside, partly because it was that chilly with no hair on my head and partly because I felt weird. But the people who knew/saw it seemed overwhelmingly in awe. Apparently, almost all girls have a secret desire to shave their heads. It got annoying all the vicarious living people were trying to do through me. If you want to shave your head that much, why don't you? I just don't get it. But that was my first experience doing something only vaguely taboo with my hair and getting such a strong reaction.

My second experience has only just begun! For no apparent reason, I have decided to grow out my armpit hair and see what happens. This can only bring a bigger response than the bald thing did. I mean, c'mon, armpit hair? I know I'd stare.

I'll keep you updated on the weird looks.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I know how it is! Im feeling very "hairy" myself these days! let me know how the armpit thing works for you!

May said...

Thanks! I will :)