Monday, August 27, 2007

Coming Soon to a Boob Tube Near You



Since the CW canceled some of my favorite shows at the end of last season, I'm looking forward to finding some new ones to fill the hole in my heart. Luckily, it looks like there will be some fairly interesting shows premiering, and there's at least a couple that I might actually make the time to watch.

Kid Nation on CBS


The coolest thing to happen to kid intelligence since Ender's Game or Holes, Kid Nation takes 40 kids to a ghost town where they have 40 days to build their own society free of adult intervention. I absolutely adore this idea because I think kids have way more guts than they are given credit for and I want to see these kids take on the desert. I am 100% prepared to plop down Wednesdays @ 8 and root for the little guys.

Real World: Hollywood on MTV
Having never watched a full episode of The Real World, I had assumed that I'd live the rest of my life that way. Then Treehugger.com had to go and point out that the newest season will actually have an interesting twist: the participants are going green. Everything from the way the show is shot to the way the house is built will now incorporate eco-friendly choices. The MTV press release states:

“The Real World” house will include everything from solar energy solutions to bamboo flooring, recycled glass counters, some sustainable furniture and recycled vintage d├ęcor, energy star appliances, a solar heated swimming pool and energy efficient lighting. Additionally, Bunim-Murray Productions has taken measures to reduce its environmental impact by adopting more environmentally-sound production practices on set. They also are working towards making the production and show carbon-neutral by offsetting remaining carbon emissions after these carbon reducing measures are applied. Eco-friendly elements will be added on a regular basis throughout production and within the show, including products seen with the cast and around the house. This initiative fits seamlessly with thinkMTV's continued environmental efforts which began with the launch of “Break the Addiction” on Earth Day 2006, a multi-platform campaign that encourages young people to make simple changes to improve their lives and to protect the planet.
Is it cool to be green these days? Absolutely! Will it work for The Real World? I guess we'll just have to watch and find out.

Kids run amok and random people forced to make green decisions... sounds like it's gonna be an interesting Fall! Check out TV.com's Fall Guide 2007 and tell me which shows you think are must watch.

If you liked this, you may want to sign up to be automatically updated the next time I post new content.

4 comments:

b said...

Looking at this makes me glad that Supernatural didn't get canceled. The Real World going green might be interesting, informative at least. That one about the kids on the island or whatever the hell it is looks kinda eh. But that's just me, I'm not a big fan of reality television.

May said...

I know, but come on! Didn't you ever dream about a parent-free existence for a while? It's gonna be awesome ;)

Joe P. said...

I'm surprised these are two of the shows you most want to see. First of all, haven't you heard the controversy over that show about the kids? There were two major injuries, plus a bunch of the kids drank bleach. It's genuine child endangerment.

Second, the Real World going green just comes off as condescending to me. It's trendy to be green now, so TV producers exploit that in order to get viewers. I cringed during last year's Academy Awards when they said the broadcast was green. Because they bought "carbon credits"? Are you fucking kidding me? What a gimmick! Yeah, I'm selling carbon credits too. You give me money, and I'll lie to you and tell you that it will off-set the carbon pollution you've done.

By the way, I'm not attacking you. I would just encourage you to be as critical as possible about what you want to support on TV. We'll find you some better stuff to watch. I'm keeping an eye on this "Pushing Daisies" show. Heard of it? Sounds like a funky concept. Hope they do it well.

May said...

I'm just excited about them because they have interesting concepts.
Yeah, I think it sucks that kids were harmed, but they already filmed the thing and I want to see what it did to the kids' brains.
As far as the Real World, I honestly doubt I'll ever watch it. But I am happy that they are going green, even if people do it for the wrong reasons it's not like it matters. It's all still helping the planet anyway.